Etest® is a predefined, stable gradient of 15 antibiotic concentrations on a plastic strip. Using innovative dry chemistry technology, Etest is used to determine the on-scale Minimum Inhibitory Concentration (MIC) of antibiotics, antifungal agents and anti-mycobacterial agents.
Etest is recognised as a cost-effective tool for generating MICs across 15 dilutions. Over 100 antimicrobials are now available in the product range for testing of aerobic bacteria and fastidious organisms* such as Pneumococci, Haemophilus, H. pylori, Meningococci, Gonococci, Anaerobes, Fungi and Mycobacteria.
Etest can help you
- Determine the MIC of fastidious, slow-growing or nutritionally deficient micro-organisms, or for a specific type of patient or infection.
- Confirm/detect a specific resistance phenotype e.g. ESBL, MBL, AmpC or GISA/hGISA.
- Detect low levels of resistance.
- Test an antimicrobial not performed in routine use or a new, recently introduced antimicrobial agent.
- Confirm an equivocal AST result.
Which clinical situations benefit most from Etest?
Etest® provides high medical value to:
- Refine or guide treatment decisions.
- Promote antibiotic stewardship.
- Determine the choice and dosage of antimicrobials in patients (PK/PD) with sterile site infections (e.g. endocarditis), severe nosocomial infections, chronic infections (e.g. cystic fibrosis) and immunosuppressed patients.
3 simple steps, nothing could be easier!
Apply the strip to an inoculated agar plate either manually or using the instruments and incubate.
After incubation, an ellipse will appear that intersects the MIC value scale (in μg/ml) where the concentration of the antibiotic tested inhibits microorganism growth.
This value corresponds to the MIC that can be used to help chose optimum patient treatment.
Etest® has an extensive range of over 100 antimicrobial* references that can be classed into 4 categories:
- Resistance Phenotype Testing.
Download the Etest Aerobic Bacteria Guide
Dowload the Etest Antifugal Guide
Click here to access our Technical Library containing all technical documentation for Etest.
*Ask your local bioMérieux representative for our extensive menu and product availability.