Antimicrobial Resistance Management
Antimicrobial resistant organisms are considered one of today’s most serious global threats to human health. They lead to high morbidity and mortality, as well as economic burden. To fight the increase and spread of these organisms, we must take action on a number of fronts with proven, reliable strategies and leading-edge tools. bioMérieux is your trusted microbiology partner for complete, integrated microbial solutions to manage antibiotic resistance.
Do you need more information
The global threat that can’t be ignored
Global Point Prevalence Survey (GLOBAL-PPS) of Hospital Antibiotic Use and Resistance
This survey provides a unique “snapshot” of the global burden of antibiotic consumption and resistance. It is supervised by a European Task Force of leading experts, coordinated by the University of Antwerp and funded by bioMérieux. In 2017, more than 400 hospital networks in over 50 countries took part, gathering data on more than 100,000 patients. The GLOBAL-PPS is a key tool for optimizing antibiotic use in hospitals and is instrumental in planning and supporting national and local stewardship interventions.
A report on the 1st edition of the GLOBAL-PPS was published in the Lancet Global Health in April 2018. Thanks to bioMérieux’s continued sponsorship, the survey will continue to be organized on an annual basis.
Burden of antimicrobial resistant infections
Estimated infections annually:
Estimated economic burden:
1) Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, CDC 2013
Since their introduction in early 20th century, antibiotic drugs have greatly reduced illness and death to the benefit of human and animal health. Yet, particularly due to the misuse and over-prescription of antibiotics, many infectious organisms have adapted and become resistant to 1st-line and even 2nd-line antibiotics. A number of drug resistant organisms, including Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), Campylobacter and Candida, show continually increasing levels of resistance. Some organisms are even resistant or becoming resistant to virtually all antibiotics, such as carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) and Multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter. Antimicrobial resistant infections place a great burden on healthcare systems, veterinary practices and society in general, with wide-ranging impact from farms to public health1:
- Treatment options are unavailable or limited; available antibiotics may be less effective, more expensive and sometimes harmful to patients
- Resistance means higher mortality risk, longer hospital stays, delayed recuperation, and sometimes long-term disability for patients
- Drug resistant organisms are behind many outbreaks of healthcare associated infection
- Rising resistance in humans has led to measures to restrict the use of certain antibiotics in the veterinary field, limiting therapeutic options.
- While the problem of antimicrobial resistant organisms is most acute in the healthcare setting, there is strong evidence that transmission is increasing in the community
- In addition, antimicrobial resistance is a serious problem in the field of livestock animal production and even in companion animals.
Health experts and agencies around the world agree: antimicrobial resistance is an urgent, global threat that can’t be ignored. The WHO says that “urgent action is required at the highest political level, globally and at country level”2. The consequences of inaction are, as stated by the CDC, “potentially catastrophic”1.
- Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, CDC 2013
- WHO: Antibiotic resistance - a threat to global health security and the case for action, Side-event at the Sixty-sixth WHA, May 2013
Challenge: How to respond effectively?
The main offenders
Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, CDC 2013
In the fight against antimicrobial resistant organisms, healthcare providers, veterinarians and public health bodies must take a multi-pronged approach: prevention, treatment, outbreak management, tracking and education. To ensure you can respond effectively on every level, you need commitment from all those involved, complete and reliable information, and relevant, timely tools.
- Infection control
- Screening and active surveillance
- Hygiene policy
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs
- Environmental control
- Differentiation of bacterial from viral infection
- Informed decisions for relevant antibiotic use
- Rapid tests
- Biomarkers, such as Procalcitonin
- Reliable identification of bacteria
- Antimicrobial resistance testing
- Flexible testing methods for different healthcare/veterinary situations
- Easy to read and interpret results
Outbreak management & tracking
- Rapid detection of resistance mechanisms
- Complete epidemiological data tracking
- Good information flow
- Collaborative action at the local, national and international levels
- Continuing education for healthcare professionals
- Accurate, easy-to-access patient education
Solution: Easy-to-implement, global solutions
The common thread among the various needs for effective antimicrobial resistance management is that you need easy-to implement global solutions for actionable results.
As both a pioneer and innovator in resistance detection and susceptibility testing, bioMérieux works closely with its healthcare partners to give you the solutions you need. We aim for the flexibility to meet different needs in different types of lab and healthcare settings. We value the integration of automation in the laboratory because it offers improved time-to-results and standardization; simpler reading and interpretation; faster information transmission; and better data tracking and management. Designed and continually improved through expert research and innovation, our instruments and reagents offer rapid, reliable, standardized results.
|Infection control/Prevention||Environmental control range|
|Multiplex PCR Identification|
|Antimicrobial susceptibility testing||VITEK® 2
Advanced Expert System (AES)
|Screening, active surveillance & ongoing treatment||NUCLISENS easyQ®
CHROMID® CARBA SMART
CHROMID® MRSA SMART
CHROMID® MRSA/S. aureus biplate
VIDAS® B.R.A.H.M.S PCT
RAPIDEC® CARBA NP
|Outbreak management||VIGIGUARD™ & MYLA®|
|Veterinary diagnostics offer||AST and Resistance Detection|
|Education||Antimicrobial Resistance Website|
Solution: A partner you can trust
bioMérieux knows labs
With more than 50 years’ experience working with microbiology labs, we’ve been at your side throughout the evolution of the challenges you face, including the onset of antimicrobial resistance.Your challenges are our challenges.
bioMérieux goes beyond bringing you best-in-class instruments and reagents specifically designed to meet the laboratory challenges posed by microbial resistant organisms. We actively foster collaboration, standing alongside international and national health organizations, policy-makers, healthcare facility and laboratory leaders and frontline medical professionals. We are a partner you can trust because our prime motivation is the same as yours: protecting and improving human health worldwide.
We believe in an integrated approach to health challenges. Along with our extensive portfolio of microbiology solutions for prevention, tracking, screening and surveillance of multi-drug resistant infections, our company is also a strong advocate of actions that raise awareness and drive change in the field of AMR through education and advocacy, such as the “Global Point Prevalence Survey”: www.global-pps.com and our AMR website.
Other education and awareness actions include:
- Participation in Antibiotic Awareness Week and European Antibiotic Awareness Day annually
- Informational publications like A Practical Guide to Antimicrobial Stewardship in Hospitals
- Grants and awards for young microbiologists – because tomorrow’s leaders in the field will help us improve responses to our greatest healthcare challenges like antimicrobial resistant organisms.